Starrettâs site in Jedburgh, one of Scotlandâs biggest manufacturing names, is celebrating its 60th anniversary. Opened in 1958, the site has become one of the US-headquartered businessâ main manufacturing facilities.
Back in 1878, Laroy S. Starrett invented and patented the combination square and then founded the L.S. Starrett Company two years later. By 1882, the company had expanded its sales representatives across the US and into London and Paris. Since then, the company has been responsible for many of the tools, equipment and machinery that are commonplace in factories across the world today.
After establishing a base in Sao Paulo, Brazil, the business was also considering locations in the UK and Europe, explained Donald Miller, General Sales Manager of Starrettâs UK factory. Jedburghâs town provost at the time realised the potential opportunity for the Scottish Borders area and arranged to meet with Douglas R. Starrett to promote Jedburgh as an ideal location. The meeting was a success and the Starrett UK factory was constructed on the outskirts of Jedburgh in 1958.
The 200,000 sq ft site employs now over 150 people and produces over two million hole saws per year, along with manufacturing a range of other saws and machines, including optical profile projectors and band saw blades. The site is the epicentre of Starrettâs UK and European operations and supplies to over 50 countries.
At Starrett, weâre proud to have such a long history of UK manufacturing, continued Miller. Weâve had 60 years to contribute to the nationâs manufacturing excellence, and we consider it a real honour to be part of such a powerful legacy.